Welcome to Ray Clark's website - Rayradio.co.uk



During one visit to the Caroline ship the skipper of the boat taking us out  there decided to return home without his passengers. I was amongst 20 radio fans stuck on the ship while frantic efforts took place to find a replacement boat to ferry us home. Eventually we returned to Ramsgate 22 hours after leaving Brightlingsea, we left the Ross Revenge after midnight.


 It was quite an adventure for everyone involved and a good job that the weather stayed calm, I was invited to stay by Johnny Lewis as the crew was short of one presenter at that time and he guessed I was keen to join. It was a tempting offer, but I had a job onshore so I couldn't let down the people that I worked with .... a government  department, but it did get me thinking that if ever I was to work on the radio then this was the time to do something about it.


scan0250 scan0248 scan0203 scan0234closer



My friend Bill was involved with organising the stuff on land that was vital to the very existance of Radio Caroline - he passed on a demo tape that I'd put together.Within days I got a call "Do you know Bill?" the voice on the phone asked in hushed tones, "Yes" I replied, "we'll meet you in the car park of the Army and Navy pub in Chelmsford at 8 o'clock on Saturday morning," and rang off, it was all very dramatic.


At 9am a battered Volvo arrived driven, badly, by a guy called Cosmic - who looked just like you'd expect someone called Cosmic  to look. Also there was Keith with very long hair and overalls, he was the replacement captain and short haired, smartly dressed Pete,  already a friend of mine. The four of us, together with our cases made our way onto the ferry at Felixstowe. Did we look inconspicuous - not a chance!


I was about to join the most famous radio station in the world .

Our journey took us from Chelmsford to Felixstowe to Zeebrugge to Dunkirk and eventually out to the ship. It took 36 hours to get to a point 18 miles from where I'd started .....but I was going to be a radio presenter.


We sailed from Dunkirk on the tail end of a gale, the voyage was a bit bumpy, and like all trips at sea, tiring. After some hours we'd crossed the northern part of the Dover Straits to the Knock Deep channel of the southern North Sea.